1. 4 large fish fillets, skinless and boneless; white, meaty fish. I used Barramundi.
2. 3 teaspoon salt
3. 1 1/2 tsp powder turmeric
4. 6 tablespoon of vegetable oil
5. 1 large red onion
6. 1 knob of ginger
7. 2 Bay leaves
8. 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
9. 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
10. 1 teaspoon cumin powder
11. 1 teaspoon chilli powder
12. 2 large tomato
13. 1 large Potato
14. 600ml of warm water
15. Bunch of Coriander
1. Curry Paste: Peel the onion, Ginger and garlic. Blitz everything in the food processor along with the half of the coriander, cumin seed and tomatoes.
2. Fish: Cut it in 2 inch squares and marinate it with 1 tsp of the salt and 1 tsp of the powder turmeric.
3. Potato: Cut the potato in 6 wedges.
Ø In a shallow saucepan, heat 5 tbsp of the oil over a high heat. Add the fish to the pan and fry to seal each piece, but do not let the fillets cook through. Remove and set aside.
Ø Then add the potato and cook it all the way through. Remove and keep t aside with the fish.
Ø Add Bay leaf and the curry paste to the pan and fry it for about 10 minutes.
Ø Add the remaining salt and powder turmeric, followed by the coriander powder, powder cumin, chilli powder. Cook for further 5 minutes.
Ø Add the water and allow the pot to simmer for another 15 minutes.
Ø Gently return the fish and potatoes to the pan and cover with the sauce, ensuring all sides of each fillet are cooking evenly.
Ø Garnish with leftover coriander leaves.
Ø Serve with some warm rice.