1. 5 tablespoon ghee (or vegetable oil) for Biryani
2. ½ cup canola oil for frying onion
3. 1 Kg skinless chicken, cut into 1" cubes
4. 3 large red onion
5. 3 inch ginger
6. 10 cloves garlic
7. 2 Bay leaf
8. 3 Cardamom
9. 10 black pepper corn
10. 1 teaspoon coriander powder
11. 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
12. 2 teaspoon Chilli powder
13. 1 ½ teaspoons salt
14. 10 table spoon milk
15. 2 cup uncooked basmati rice
16. 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Onion Finely Slice. I used Mandolin to get as thin slices as possible
2. Ginger: finely chopped
3. Garlic: finely chopped
4. Rice: Soak in water for about an hour before cooking
5. Spices: mix chilli, coriander and turmeric powder in 2 tablespoon water and allow it to soak for an hour
Ø Fried Onion:
Heat oil in a pan
When the oil is hot, add the sliced onions. Don’t overcrowd as you want your onions to get crispy
Fry them on high heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
Now simmer the heat and fry until onions are golden brown in colour and crispy, stirring the onions occasionally.
Remove the onions on a plate lined with paper towel.
Do the same process with the remaining half sliced onions.
In a pot boil 10-12 cups of water
Add the soaked rice in
Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes
The rice should be a little al-Dante
Drain it and run a little cold water on top
In a heavy bottom large pot heat ghee over high heat
Add bay leaf, cardamom and peppercorn until it starts spluttering.
Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until very fragrant and beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan, about 1 minute.
Add the spice mix and cook for another 1 minute. Then add salt.
Now add the chicken and stir occasionally until the chicken is a bit tender. Add about 5 tablespoons of milk. Still occasionally until the chicken is cooked. Usually takes about 10-12 minutes.
Top with the rice and remaining saffron milk over the rice.
Cover the pan and cook on low flame until the liquid evaporates, the rice is tender, and the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
Once its cooked serve with the fried onions on top.