Indian Eggplant Dip - Began Bharta
1. 2 large eggplant
2. 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3. 1 medium onion
4. 3 cloves garlic
5. 1 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
6. ½ teaspoon turmeric
7. 1 & ½ teaspoon Kashmiri Chilly powder (Paprika)
8. 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
9. ½ cup chopped cilantro, thin stems included
1. Onion: Peel and Finely chop the onion
2. Garlic: Peel and finely chop
3. Tomatoes: Peel and finely chop
Tip: As we want a dip chop everything as finely as possible. Will give a better texture.
Ø The most important part is to roast your eggplant on direct gas/flame. This gives the dish a smoky aroma that gives this dish its distinct flavour
Ø Roast over a very high heat, turning as necessary until the skin is blackened and the eggplant collapses.
Ø When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel and remove the hard stem. A bit of charred skin does add to the smoky flavour
Ø Chop or mash in a bowl.
Ø Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat and then add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Ø Add the chopped garlic another minute.
Ø Add the tomato, turmeric, Chilly powder and salt. Cook until the tomato is soft, 5 minutes or so.
Ø Stir in the eggplant purée and cook, stirring, 5 to 8 minutes.
Ø Now turn the heat on low and mash everything in the pan with a spatula till you get a desired consistency.
Ø Stir in the coriander and switch the gas off.
Ø Serve hot with warm chapati bread or pita, or over rice.