1. 2 medium sized black eggplants
2. 1 tablespoons mirin
3. 1 tablespoons cooking sake
4. 2 tablespoons raw sugar
5. 1 tablespoon sesame oil
6. 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
7. 1 table spoon miso paste
8. Pinch of salt
1. Eggplant: Wash and pat dry. Cut the eggplants in half, length wise. Score a diamond pattern in the flesh of the eggplant as shown in the pictures. Sprinkle with salt and gently rub the salt over the flesh.
· Leave it for 30 minutes.
· Using a paper towel, pat the flesh of the eggplant and blot the water droplets that have formed on the surface.
2. Miso Paste: Place mirin, sake, sugar, sesame oil, ginger and miso paste in a small heavy bottomed saucepan on medium. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Ø Pre-heat oven to 200C.
Ø Place the eggplants cut side up in a baking tray.
Ø Using a brush, generously brush the miso sauce over the cut side of the eggplants.
Ø Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes until starting to brown and tender.
Ø Remove from the oven. Brush more miso sauce to glaze the eggplants.